[lit-ideas] Re: Ah, confusion

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 08:48:27 -0500

This particular aspect worked so well for the Kerry boat people...

Thanks, John.  I've sent the article along to my straight thinking class.
Ursula

This excerpt comes from part way down the original article in the Washington Post:

"Indeed, repetition seems to be a key culprit. Things that are repeated often become more accessible in memory, and one of the brain's subconscious rules of thumb is that easily recalled things are true.

Many easily remembered things, in fact, such as one's birthday or a pet's name, are indeed true. But someone trying to manipulate public opinion can take advantage of this aspect of brain functioning. In politics and elsewhere, this means that whoever makes the first assertion about something has a large advantage over everyone who denies it later."

John McCreery wrote:
Wondered how some of us here might respond to the following: