[lit-ideas] Re: Adam's Spare-Rib and The Fall from Eden

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:00:09 -0500

JL [quotes]:
           It is not good that the man should
           be alone. I will make him an help meet
           for him.
           And out of the ground the Lord formed
           EVERY BEAST of the field.
           But for Adam there was [still] not
           found an help meet for him."

That God didn't know what he was doing doesn't surprise me. No one had done this before, so far as we know, so I can cut Him some slack. What I do find puzzling is that He created a WOMAN to help him -- a guy. What was He thinking? There were no dishes to wash, or clothes to clean, no house to vacuum, not even any cooking to do -- this was Paradise after all, what the hell did Adam need help with? And even if he did need help -- a woman??? Please. And you're probably thinking I'm a sexist, but your wrong, I'm a realist. A Mexican, yes, a Vietnamese, of course, maybe even a Romanian, but a woman??? Women WANT help, for Christ's sake. Maybe those chroniclers got it all wrong. Maybe the first man was a WOMAN. And God quickly saw she didn't know which end of the hammer to hold so he ripped a rib and created MAN, the drywall hanger. This narrative makes a hell of a lot more sense to me. I don't know ancient Hebrew, but I'll bet if the scholars dare go back far enough they see that what we now call "woman" was created first.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx