[lit-ideas] Re: Adam's Spare-Rib (Was: His Navel

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:49:52 EDT

Geary:

>"Why God would choose to make a person  out of a rib seems
>bizarrely amusing to  me."

Well, if my theory holds (water), and  God (or King James -- at this stage,
I'm confused) was thinking of the spare-rib  (cf. Robespierre, ribspare), then
we should also have to admit that what the  Bible has as 'meet' in

Gen. I, 2,  18
      "It is  not good that the man should be alone.
       I will make him an help  meet for him."

and

Gen. I, 2, 20:
        "But for Adam there was  not found an help meet for him."

should read, perhaps  'meat'?

Mind, my Hebrew is very rudimentary,  but Adam does say,

        "Flesh of my  flesh"

i.e. flesh _off_ my flesh -- i.e. a  genitive of _origin_.

"They shall be one flesh" -- "Man shall  leave his father and his mother" --
but Adam had no mother -- and shall cleave  unto his wife; and they shall be
one flesh".

Literally, they _are_ one flesh, for  the rib which God took from Adam was
part of Adam's  _flesh_.

But I agree with Geary that  possibly the gall bladder or the appendix (or
the [left] little toe) would have  been more practical and save Adam from a
possible pain or two. Especially the  appendix.

Why do porks have 'spare ribs', and why  was Robespierre, the French
revolutionaire, called thus  "Rib-spare".

I'm still preoccupied that Durer's  representation of Adam shows his _navel_.
Borges used to quote from I think  Donne, "The man without navel lives in
me", by which Donne meant Adam.

Talking of gall bladder, I once met a  Scotswoman whose surname was Gall. I
meant to impress her by telling her about  the gall bladder, but she
disappointed me by telling me that 'gall' in Gaelic,  means 'Holy'.

R. Paul finds KJV different 'rhythm'  than Shakespeare. For one, Shakespeare
does not hypercorrect his 'eitches' ('an  help meet', meat).

I wish D. G. Myers could participate in  this forum. He knows a lot about the
Old Testament.

Cheers,

JL