[lit-ideas] Re: Acronyms

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:32:24 -0800

On Jan 19, 2007, at 5:16 AM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

FAFSA I know -- i.e., I know what it IS, but cannot recall what the letters stand for.  That's an acrnymial problem.  Kind of like the artistically creative commercials that leave you with no clue or memory of what is being advertised.

Now you've done it, caused me to waste a whole dollar on Bill Wedertz, "Dictionary of Naval Abbreviations." (DICNAVAB)

A first dip brings:

SPOTREPS, Significant Occurrences Reports
SXBT, Shipboard Expendable Ballythermograph
TEMDU PAT, Temporary Duty as a Patient
TEMPT, Test Equipment, Materials, Parts and Tools
UNA, Use No Abbreviations
VD, Van Dyke (reproducible drawing)
ZAP, Zero Anti-Aircraft Potential

More, another time.