[lit-ideas] Abnormal Schooling

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:51:55 EDT

Anathema to know -- for those -- who like me enjoy the silly English season
which is _not_ complete without a visit to the summer exhibition at the Royal
Academy (Piccadilly).

Now I read the Royal College of Art -- (not to be confused with the Royal
Academy schools) was previously known as "The Normal School of Design", so I'm
surprised the OED cannot trace THAT date.

It's still not clear to me what 'normal' means in this context. If it's  just
a school of design, it would not train 'teachers', but 'artisans'
(designers). Surely William Morris would have hated such a notion.

On the other hand, the sweetest man I've not known, Rothenstein, was
Director of the Royal College of Art for decades.

S. J. CURTIS  & M. E. A. BOULTWOOD  Introd. Hist. Eng. Educ. xii. 278 The
Normal  School of Design became the Royal College of Art in 1896.

On the other hand, Quentin Crisp only received abnormal schooling in
Woolwich (and not in the Royal Military College).

J. L.  Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,
La  Recoleta C1124AAE,