[lit-ideas] Re: A serious inquiry

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:03:35 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure which "sections of the Middle East" you
are refering to. Iraq and Palestine are in the very
center of the ME. It has to do with all of the ME.

Re your other comments: I don't know of any serious
Muslim politicians or senior clerics or serious
authors who think that non-Muslims should be killed
just because they are non-Muslims. I don't think that
even Sayed Qutb, Lawrence's favourite, says that. In
any case, if there are Muslims in Western countries
who advocate violence on religious or ethnic grounds,
there is legislation that deals with, i.e. hate
speech, incitement to violence and so forth. It's a
matter or implementing, and in some cases maybe
improving, the existing legislation. I don't see the
need for the rhetoric of the sort you have used.

About the Muslims in non-Western countries, I don't
think that you can do much about that directly, unless
you propose attacking countries just on the grounds
that some people in them don't like you. Of course, a
US withdrawal from Iraq would help, as would a
solution to the Palestinian problem, and an end of
Western support for such corrupt regimes as the Saudi
and Egyptian. But I can't promise that it would make
them all love you.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com