[lit-ideas] A NOTE TO BRIAN

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LIT-IDEAS" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:34:28 -0500

Dear Brian,

I was not offended by your "Absolute terrible."  In fact, I laughed when I
read it.  As poetry, I thought it was pretty terrible too, but it was funny.

"Inflexible morality of the miserable:
at least that if no more, ought through their creeds.
The ligatures of all beliefs I am here to untie."

That's the best parody of Joyce since... well, hell, since Joyce.  Obviously
I care more about funny than poetry.  Eric is much more the serious poet.  I
admire him for it and most of his writings that I've seen I admire a lot.
But he's serious about writing.  I'm a clown about it and serious about
being a clown.  So I like it when I think I've irritated someone enough with
my "poetry" that they feel compelled to comment.  That's one of the things
poetry should do, stir us into action, even if that's only laughing or maybe
just smiling, or maybe just rolling one's eyes.  My favorite quote from
McLuhan is "Art is anything you can get away with."  Evidently you don't
find much art in my poetry, but as long as it annoys you enough that you
feel compelled to comment on it, then I feel I've gotten away with something
and ergo, it's ART.

Someone offlist recently complained that one of my Sunday Poems was "lazy."
Well, yes.  I don't get paid for this crap, you know.

Keep sending in those cards and letters folks.  Even Stan can.

Mike Geary
Memphis