[Linux-Discussion] Re: dns help

  • From: John Madden <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:54:19 -0500

On Monday 30 July 2001 14:51, you wrote:
> I have a DNS question for you guys.
>
> What is the difference between a Caching-only Nameserver and an
> Authoritative-only Nameserver?  Are there more types than those?

A caching-only is one that does just that - it caches DNS requests for a
configurable amount of time, so that it doesn't have to go out through the
external DNS system to look stuff up.

I don't know about authoritative-only (didn't know there was such a thing),
but an authoritative nameserver is one who's "authoritative for his domain,"
or in other words, is the server responsible for resolving the "www" portion
of "www.freelists.org".  The authoritative servers are the ones that show up
when you do a "whois" on a domain -- dns23 and 24 .register.com are
authoritative for freelists.org, for example.

John

--
John Madden
UNIX Systems Engineer