[linux-cirrus] Re: wot to do with the Maverick Crunch patches?

  • From: Robert Whaley <rwhaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-cirrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:42:11 -0500

Ray Lehtiniemi wrote:
On Friday 04 April 2008 00:44:33 Andrew Gaylard wrote:

Hi Brian,

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Brian Austin <brian.austin@xxxxxxxxxx>

wrote:

As some of you know, Cirrus is now out of the ARM business,.  Officially
April 1st.  (No joke).  We still have however arm.cirrus.com.

I still haven't seen any official announcement.
I've checked these URLs:

http://www.cirrus.com/
http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/techs/T7.html
http://arm.cirrus.com/

Is the announcement posted?  Where?

Andrew

i mentioned this to one of the engineers at a local firm which uses the ep9302. he told me that their cirrus rep had notified them about this a few weeks ago. apparently they plan to support existing customers for a number of years, but won't be accepting new customers.

some kind of official announcement would be in order, though...

ray

Cirrus reps are telling us that the general purpose ARM chips are *not* EOLed. And they say they are *not* out of the ARM business. They say they are "changing their [ARM] focus" from "general purpose processors" to "application specific standard products".

Then they say there is some sort of change in the support that they provide for EP93xx, but they say this in terms that leaves me unable to understand what the change is.

Cirrus would do themselves a favor by making a offical statement that clearly explains what their customers can expect going forward.

--
Robert Whaley
Applied Data Systems            www.applieddata.net