[linux-avc2210k] Success with latest adaptec (v1.3) firmware

  • From: "j t" <mark473@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-avc2210k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 00:49:21 +0100

Hi John.

I thought I'd have a go at getting Adaptec's latest firmware to work,
and I appear to have been successful...

I've only have an avc-2210, so that's all I can test. Hopefully the
same will work for the avc-2310.

Firstly, I checked the downloads from:
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/Video/prod/AVC-2210/

Incidentally, the md5sums for the downloads for the Windows XP
zipfiles (versions 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3) are identical to the md5sums for
the downloads for the Windows 2000 zipfiles (corresponding version
numbers), so the windows drivers/firmware files must be identical.

After unpacking each of the XP zipfiles, I compared the md5sums
against those of the files on my CD - the firmware files on the CD
match those available in the version 1.2 zipfile download. NB: the
filenames from the version 1.2 download are all uppercase - these need
to be changed to lowercase for the files to be usable:
for i in * ; do mv "${i}" "$( echo ${i} | tr [A-Z] [a-z] )" ; done

Then I thought I'd have a go at getting the 1.3 version to work. Once
I'd worked out that the only file that I needed for device
re-enumeration (via multiload) was avcuwfl.sys, I just compared the
1.2 version with the 1.3 version using "hd avcuwfl.sys | less".
Snooping around, I found similar hexcodes in the later version
positioned slightly after those in the earlier version. Then I
modified /etc/multiload.conf with the new numbers:

block   INTERNAL WINSYS1, /var/lib/firmware/avcuwfl.sys,0x3b00,0x0512
block   INTERNAL WINSYS1, /var/lib/firmware/avcuwfl.sys,0x08a0,0x3230

rather than:

block   INTERNAL WINSYS1, /var/lib/firmware/avcuwfl.sys,0x3ac8,0x0512
block   INTERNAL WINSYS1, /var/lib/firmware/avcuwfl.sys,0x0880,0x3230

When I switched my avc-2210 off and on again, back came the green
light. Whoopee!!

Then I copied the rest of the contents of the 1.3 zipfile to
/var/lib/firmware, ran:
avcctrl -i -f PAL -t MPEG2 -q BEST -s COMPOSITE -v 0
and everything started working.

Regarding the ".ux" and the ".ax" files, lots of md5sum'ming shows
that there has been no change between 1.2 (the version distributed on
cd) and 1.3 (the latest).

Any chance of putting some of this info into the docs? (I'd hate it if
others had to cover the same ground, so to speak). I've lots more info
to write, but I'll leave it at this for one night.

Thanks,

Jaime :-)