[Linux-Anyway] Re: XFree86 vs. Xorg (was: 19" CRT Monitor setup in SW9.1)

  • From: Meph Istopheles <Meph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 06:40:51 -0800 (PST)

>> First off, no /etc/X11/xf86config
>> replaced with,  /etc/X11/xorg.conf

> Cue the history lesson :)

   OK, I'm really not awake yet, but man!  You seem so testy;-).

   But hey, Nix history is actually a good thing.  For some of us,
it reminds us of rally cool things we used to do but can't
remember either how we did them, or what software did it; while
for others, it can give them maybe a better foundation for using
more in Nix.

   Any "old timers" or newbies want to share their cool apps &/or
"things you do" with your 'puter?  I'm betting we all do
something which may seem common to us, but would be totally new
to others.

   Maybe Godwin will become a Nix historian & regale us with
histories of all our favourite warez;-).

> Could it be that /usr/X11R6/bin isn't in your $PATH ?

   You know, John, this is exactly what was keeping me out of X in
slack 10.0.  Granted it may have been that my .bashrc has been
with me through many installations & with different distros, but
somehow, this wasn't in ~my~ path....

   I may be sounding a little sarcastic right now.  Blame it on
the lack of caffeine & my room mate's damn cat which wouldn't
stop scratching at my door this morning;-).

   Meph

--
   This is National Non-Dairy Creamer Week.