[Linux-Anyway] Re: Wheee!

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 00:15:19 +0100

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:48:49 +0100 scripsit Horror Vacui:

> Wah. Sorry, a slip of the tongue - I meant Provia. I was very impressed
> with the 200 (I think it's called F+) - nice allrounder, a grain finer
> than you'd expect in a relatively fast E6, and much subtler on the
> colours than Velvia (which I sometimes think is suitable only for
> shooting flowers).

No, that must be sensia. IIRC there's no professional reversal film at
200 ISO because it's a kind of bastardised compromise between 100 ISO and
400 ISO emulsions.

> I also tried Provia 400 for low-light, which is also impressive but only
> for low-light or fast action, otherwise a waste.

Agreed. Altho' you can push it to 1600 without too much difficulty.

> Apropos: it seems like I'll be obliged to shoot a wedding. I've no idea
> about the location (though I could bet it'll be fluorescent light,
> non-white ceiling and black-or-white-clad guests), anyway I'm a bit
> clueless about the film. C-41 low-contrast of course, but which type
> fits the description - any ideas?

C41, low contrast? That's a no-brainer: Fuji Reala (that's a 100 ISO film).
Get it processed elsewhere than in a minilab and you'll get great detail
across the D-scale. Colour correction will be done when printing so don't
worry about filters. All the other C41 films from Fuji (Super-G100 et al)
aren't up to it and are far too contrasted.

> I'm all sold to Fuji. The only thing that bothers me is that you can't
> get it only with 24/36 shots. I'd prefer 12-er rolls. I've put a roll of
> Velvia into my camera to have a couple of shots at the autumn foliage,
> but had no time - now I'm stuck with a ISO 50 film in a dark, colourless
> austrian winter.

LOL :)

Can you afford to buy the film in cans, store it in the freezer, and roll
your own 35mm films? Yes, it's expensive buying the can but it works out
much cheaper in the long run. Any (semi)-pro lab should be able to sell you
the stuff.

You don't even need a dark room to do it - just a black bag if you're
careful enough.

> Hm, I'd expect people like that to process their own film, but what do
> you know. At the danger of saying something stupid, I think that
> underexposing 4 stops in an appropriate setup would give you some
> extreme contrast, with pitch-black in areas below the threshold.

That's pretty much what we expected, but no, the film reacted in a very
linear fashion. That's why we were so impressed.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx -- gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.4.23)