[Linux-Anyway] Re: Wheee!

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 22:51:28 +0100

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 22:15:22 +0100 scripsit Horror Vacui:

> A couple of Rokkor lenses and a batch of Sensia and Velvia is something
> I'd much prefer

Drop the Sensia and get Provia instead.

It's basically the same emulsion but the Sensia is in fact Provia which
didn't make the grade.

Velvia is an exceptional reversal film but not too easy to work with at only
50 ISO. That's where Provia/Sensia come in handy at 100 ISO but with hardly
any difference in grain with the Velvia. Velvia might be a little warmer
than Provia, which is exceptionally neutral.

From '94 to '99 I used to work in a pro photographic lab and I've seen Fuji
pull off some amazing stuff. At one point, the guys from some Japanese car
manufacturer's photography department (Honda's I think, it must have been
the advertising campaign for the CR-V) came over but with their own 8"x10"
sheets of Provia. For some reason or other, because the photographers were
looking for a particular effect, I believe, we had to push-process the
friggin' things at +4 f-stops. Yes, that's +4 f-stops...

Try and E6 push-process any run of the mill emulsion that far and you're
going to end up with a green/magenta mess (if anything). We were all
suitably impressed.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx -- gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.4.23)