[Linux-Anyway] Re: Slow X

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux Anyway <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:02:22 -0700 (PDT)

> >   Oh, my video card's an ATI Radeon 9500 with 64MB RAM.

> In that case how do you explain this:

> > Identifier  "Card0"
> > Driver      "nv"
> > VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
> > BoardName   "NV5 [RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro]"

> Does the Radeon 9500 really use an NVidia chip rather than an
> ATI Radeon chip? I suspect you're loading the wrong driver, X
> is seeing the incompatibility and falling back on a standard
> VESA-compatible server. A peek into your /var/log/XFree86.0.log
> could be revealing.

  No.  And I thought that ~really~ odd, when I'm pretty sure I'd
had to add the ati driver -- though I may be confusing the gentoo
install requiring it.  But I'd gone with the full install of
slack, so the driver should be there.

> Surely you should have:

> Identifier  "Card0"
> Driver      "radeon"
> VendorName  "ATI"
> BoardName   "Radeon 9500"

  Got it.

> BTW, I just saw that you'd already done the LoadModule thingy
> on glx, dri and freetype, but you didn't add the Section "DRI"
> bit. This is what makes HW acceleration available to all users
> rather than just root.

  Oh, I'd added that, & I intend to restart X shortly.  Just
finishing up some stuff before hand.

--
  The trouble with superheros is what to do between phone booths.
  -Ken Kesey