[Linux-Anyway] Re: Painfully slooooooooow

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 23:20:48 +0200

On Fri, 28 May 2004 23:08:14 +0200
Godwin wrote:

> On Fri, 28 May 2004 13:56:36 -0700 (PDT), Meph Istopheles
> <Meph@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >   What causes this?  Memory, RAM...?  What to do?
>
> Hard disk not configured to run in UDMA mode maybe?

This might explain the slow copying, but as for the skipping MP3's, I
believe they simply got screwed up. Try copying some of them to a
different machine and playing them there to exclude any problem with the
hardware of this machine (which is not that far-fetched, seeing that
something in there already managed to wreak havoc). The problem you had
looked like a filesystem corruption, and the problems you have with the
files now look like what I imagine the effects of a filesystem
corruption look like.

> This probably involves using hdparm but you'll need someone else's
> opinion and expertise in that area.

Well, at least checking for DMA with hdparm -d /dev/hXx and enabling it
if not already 1 should achieve some performance gain... As to the
numerous (and partly dangerous) UDMA modes one can set with hdparm, I'm
completely clueless...

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui