[Linux-Anyway] Re: Painfully slooooooooow

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 00:58:05 +0200

On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:54:22 -0700 (PDT)
Meph wrote:

> > Well, at least checking for DMA with hdparm -d /dev/hXx and
> > enabling it if not already 1 should achieve some performance
> > gain...
>
>   Whee!  That did it:-).  You'd think that would become the
> standard now, as I don't know why one wouldn't use dma with
> relatively current hardware, but I don't know a lot about it.

Don't ask me. Even the oldest & crappiest of my hardware supports DMA,
so it probably should be the standard by now. Gentoo had it enabled by
default, AFAIK.

By the way, Red Hat seems to have suffered severe brain damage at some
point as with regard to DMA, since they managed to disable DMA for
removable media (like cd and dvd drives) in such a wonderfully reliable
way that it's aparently impossible to turn it on without recompiling the
kernel. For someone like me, running stock kernels only as long as it
takes vanilla to compile, that would be no problem, the noobs probably
feel differently about it.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui