[Linux-Anyway] Re: OT: XP text-based browser

  • From: horrorvacui@xxxxxxx
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:02:54 +0200

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:38:15 +0200
Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And Thus Spake "Meph Istopheles" <Meph@xxxxxxxxxx> (on Sun, 27 Jul 2003
> 12:24:30 -0700):
>
> >   Anyone know of a win-32 text-based browser along the lines on
> > w3m (as opposed to lynx) for Windows?
>
> Hmm... Not easy.
>
> I did a bit of googling and the only text-based browser for Windows
> which came up repeatedly was Lynx, which obviously doesn't appeal to you
> :(

www.w3m.org has windows binaries, but you apparently need cygwin libs as
well.

Lynx is good enough, but w3m does a far better job of rendering pages as
they're intended to look (lynx doesn't even appear to be trying). I'd
choose w3m over lynx, but whether it's worth installing cygwin... Your
call.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui