[Linux-Anyway] Re: OT: XP text-based browser

  • From: "Meph Istopheles" <Meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:43:22 -0700

> >   Uh, on w3m's site, under binaries, I think
> > w3m-991028-2-cookie-cygwinb20-en.tgz is the one I want....?

> Well, at least it looks like it is...

  Hmm.  I'm still looking at cygwin's user manual.  Funny, I
can't find anything on installing anything;-o.

> >   Oh, in this cygwin bash shell, will I (once I install such
> > things as w3m, bash, etc, be able to use them as I do in
Linux?
> > Also, is there a way to configure this shell with different
font
> > sizes & colours?

> I don't know, I never used it myself. I've been mulling it (to
make
> Windows a bit more bearable, as you want to do with w3m), but
in the end
> the laziness prevailed and I let it be.

  Well, I've already figured out that I can change the look of
bash simply with the window config -- it's the dos command line
window.  I've not created it yet, but I found a config that went
into little detail about a .bashrc for it.  At least, once I
figure out how to get w3m installed, I'll be able to open it as I
do in Linux with "w3".  Gotta look into pico & ispell though.

> After all, why create a bastard when you can have the real
thing?

  As you'd said -- laziness.  I'm hoping to sell off everything I
have here & buy a laptop with XP Pro (which is why I'm trying to
make XP Pro on this AMD box tolerable).  Why XP Pro instead of
Linux?  While I'll likely dual-boot the laptop, I'm thinking more
about flexibility with where I use it & what I attach to it.  I
don't think Poland will offer much in this way, so I'm thinking
that having a laptop with an OS which installs most anything
(short of going Mac) is a smart move.

> You'll probably be able to run most Linux utilities, barring
administrative tasks.

  Cool.  There ~are~ some things I prefer in Windows -- like
gaming:-).  But when I use Windows, I miss my Linux.

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux