[Linux-Anyway] Mandrake and Boredom

  • From: Rebel Lion <obsidion@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:17:57 +1300

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 02:42, you wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:17:52 +1300
>
> Rebel Lion <obsidion@xxxxxxxxxx> uttered:
> >  then it would forget how to use the cd's  and tell me they weren't
> >  present and that it was the wrong one or not
> > mounted
>
> ya, good 'ol supermount. I've been very lucky, that has not affected me
> much. From the sounds of it, I've been very lucky with Mdk indeed ;-)

You must have been....8.0 had a broken package manager so adding sources was
very difficult. 8.1 was so sloooow it was like watching a fly in thigh
gumboots walking across a copper full of treacle. :)
8.2 sort of worked but supermount often decided to pack up and required a
reboot, something that just shouldn't happen in Linux ...

> I have to say, though, I'm getting to the point where you were, bored.
>
> Everything works pretty well, and I've got this itch to try something
> different. The problem is, so many choices (not complaining, not
> complaining, choice is good, choice is good). Slackware? Debian? ASP?
> Gentoo?

ASP is great for me I have an old P133 with 64megs of ram and an 8meg
videocard.. ASP is just so quick when compared with the other flavours,
though to be fair I haven't tried out debian yet and probably won't either as
I have this system nicely working now...The only thing I can't do properly is
install the latest Gramps (genealogy program) it needs the gnome2 libraries
and I have had no luck with getting them installed and running...

--
Like spreading Viruses, use Outlook express.
http://linux.kwister.com