[Linux-Anyway] Re: I didn't know M$ were *THAT* stupid! (C&Cwarning)

  • From: horrorvacui@xxxxxxx
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:49:22 +0200

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:54:30 +0200
Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ,--------------- Forwarded message (begin)
>
>  Subject: Re: [Media] Wirral man could be cleared of spam
>  Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:23:06 +0200
>  Newsgroup: news.admin.net-abuse.email
>
> <snip>
>
> What was located as infringing content:
> ------------------------------
> Filename: /mandrake_current/SRPMS/OpenOffice.org-1.0.1-9mdk.src.rpm
> (199,643kb)
> Filename:
> /mandrake_current/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/OpenOffice.org-libs-1.0.1-9mdk.i58
> 6.rpm(35,444kb)

They've got some kind of spider that grazes the 'net for warezed software
- or, as this instance proves, anything that lookes even remotely similar.
There's been a report about this on theregister.co.uk a couple of months
ago, and they also managed to tickle a silly justification out of some PR
person at BSA, IIRC. I was quite amused, and kind of half-considered
having a collection of zipped files hosted somewhere, called after MS
products and filled with zeroes. Wouldn't that be a nice new sport, a kind
of internet spider-fishing?

On a somewhat related note, I've got another grievance with OpenOffice.
Until now, it's just been the fact that it's slow, bloated and unreliable,
but now it won't work at all. I've installed it on the notebook so I can
read MS-Office formatted crap. It's a .deb package installed with apt-get,
which should be pretty reliable, right? - yet when I try to start it, it
crashes, pulling the whole machine down along with it.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714