[Linux-Anyway] Re: Have I hosted an open mail relay?

  • From: "Godwin Stewart" <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:42:17 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
To: "Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 1:12 PM
Subject: [Linux-Anyway] Have I hosted an open mail relay?

No.

You are the victim of what's known as a "joe job" in the spamming business.

A spammer has sent out thousands of spam messages with your e-mail address
in the "From:" header. This is often a kind of "revenge" tactic for having
been reported by the victim on a previous occasion.

The mail itself originated from IP address 149.43.182.11 (Colgate
University, Hamilton, NY, USA), which was either an open proxy at the time
or the machine from which the spammer actually worked. I'd vouch for the
second option because there has recently been discovered a scandal whereby
professional spammers were paying students to install spam software on their
computers so they would flood the 'net on behalf of the spammers.

I've just tried again and the machine would appear to have been locked down
now.

It has been reported to spamcop before now and has been listed a few times:

http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=149.43.182.11

Don't worry too much, but expect to see a few more bounce messages and maybe
a few disgruntled netizens replying to you.

--
G. Stewart.