[Linux-Anyway] Re: Damn P-II

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 01:42:38 +0200

On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:11:16 -0700 (PDT)
Meph wrote:

>   So, I try my xp cd & get the same error.  But now with my W98,
> it's working.  Maybe I'll see if I can find anything about
> upgrading from W98 to xp in a way which might reduce the usual
> annoyances of upgrading over a previous version.  Who knows, I
> may just leave it W98 -- depends on how I feel later.

I somehow have the feeling that you're trying to start the wrong thing.
It's been ages since I installed a Windows, so I don't remember the
details exactly (probably a bad thing, seeing that the only thing
concrete in my resume identifying me as an IT person is the MCSE), but
the W9x CD's come with a dirfull of .cab files and a setup.exe (or
winsetup.exe or something like that) that you can copy wherever you want
and install off it. There's also a setup-something that you're supposed
to start when upgrading from a previous version of windows, from within
a "running" windows system - this is not what you want.

If he's behind a firewall, just leave him at w98. XP is probably a bit
too much for an oldish machine like that (and installed with defaults it
has bugger all security benefit compared to w9x). He'll probably catch
himself a couple of nasties eventually, so think about backups/ghosting
too, and blocking outgoing smtp on the firewall.

A w2k would be far more appropriate for such a machine than XP, IMHO.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714