[Linux-Anyway] Re: BladeEnc -- It's been a while *

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:49:15 +0100

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:00:21 -0800 (PST)
Meph wrote:

> > Apropos portable mp3 player: with a bit of money coming in
> > with my new job, I finally decided to get one - something I've
> > wanted to have for years. It seems to be quite nice - an
> > USB-stick type of device, with 512MB, playlist support and an
> > FM tuner for about 100 Eur, which seems pretty much a bargain.
> > The bad part is that I bought it online, and have to wait 1-2
> > weeks for the delivery.
>
>    Nice.  What I got is an Audiovox cd/mp3 player.  I've played
> some cd's on it so far.  Sounds nice, no skip & seems pretty
> sturdy.

My first attempt to be able to take my favourite music with me was a
portable AKAI CD player. The problem is, the thing would suck 2 Alkaline
cells empty in roughly 2 hours - I guess these companies producing
high-end devices don't waste much thought on energy-efficiency. So being
left with a portable device that is not practically portable, my primary
requirement was: no moving parts.

Probably newer devices are much better at this (and I guess that with
the reduced bitrate the disc can spin slower). but it probably can't
match a flash-based device.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui