[Linux-Anyway] Re: BSD and cleaning ports

  • From: Scott Robbins <scottro@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:22:01 -0400

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 08:50:20PM +0200, Horror Vacui wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 11:26:06 -0400
> Scott wrote:
>
> > Awhile back, Horror and I were discussing cleaning out FreeBSD's ports
> > directories.  I found out there's actually a command called portsclean
> > that will do this.
>
> I do have to admit that the thing indeed seems to be faster than Linux.
> Seems to be a matter of how the scheduler handles tasks - with one or
> more beefy tasks running, the system is much less responsive than Linux
> - compiling under BSD seems quite a bit faster, but other things also
> get correspondingly slower. It'd be interesting to tune Linux to behave
> similar to BSD and then benchmark them. I'm not sure which approach to
> task scheduling is better overall, but they both sure have merits.

One can, I suspect (as I once read in some mutt vs. pine debate) find
all sorts of reasons to justify what is in the end, an emotional
decision.  There was going to be a Beaver Challenge (at Oregon
University, which has a beaver as its mascot) to compare Gentoo,
FreeBSD, DragonFlyBSD (a fork by one of the original BSDers, Matt
Dillon) and a few others, but it didn't happen this year.

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Cordelia: What is stalking nowadays, like, the third most
popular sport among men?
Angel: Fourth, after luge