[Linux-Anyway] Re: BSD and cleaning ports

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:50:20 +0200

On Tue, 25 May 2004 11:26:06 -0400
Scott wrote:

> Awhile back, Horror and I were discussing cleaning out FreeBSD's ports
> directories.  I found out there's actually a command called portsclean
> that will do this.

Thanks, I'll note that.

> Just thought I'd pass it along for Horror and any other BSD-ers out
> there.

Hm, not really a BSD-er here. My problem is that I leave the machine
running around the clock, and boot into BSD only when I remember that I
have it at all (which is pretty seldom). Then, I can't use my tv-card in
BSD, because for some reason X got installed without xv support.
Troubleshooting that probably wouldn't be a problem - if I remembered to
boot into BSD more often. But even when I do, I remember I want to see
something on the tv, and reboot into Linux quite soon... Typical
dual-boot woes.

I do have to admit that the thing indeed seems to be faster than Linux.
Seems to be a matter of how the scheduler handles tasks - with one or
more beefy tasks running, the system is much less responsive than Linux
- compiling under BSD seems quite a bit faster, but other things also
get correspondingly slower. It'd be interesting to tune Linux to behave
similar to BSD and then benchmark them. I'm not sure which approach to
task scheduling is better overall, but they both sure have merits.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714