[Linux-Anyway] Re: Anyone using qpopper?

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:21:38 -0800 (PST)

  Horror,

> A small excerpt from the Mail-Administrator-HOWTO at tldp.org:

> 5.3 qmail

> The qmail program is a sendmail-compatible MTA designed
> specifically for high security. The author has a standing
> reward of $500 for publication of the first verifiable security
> hole; this reward has gone unclaimed since March 1997.

> The qmail home page is at http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html.

  Hmm.  My isp touts qmail as the best he's ever come across.  At
least, if I can't figure something out & no one on the list knows
the answer, he probabaly would.

> 5.4 exim

> The exim program is similar to smail3, but with more features.
> It advertises particular strengths in spam-blocking and support
> of several virtual hosts (virtual DNS domains) on the same
> host.

  If I remember correctly, exim requres payment for any
commercial use.  I run a business as well as putz round with
personal mail.  I'll have to look into this more deeply.

> The exim home page is at http://www.exim.org/.

> I tried it on my own computer, it looks like a nice merge
> between smail configuration system and qmail security, moreover
> it has the advantage of being GPL.

  Again, any mailer I use will have to be free for some
commercial use.  It's not like I do enough business via e-mail
that they'd really make any money if done piece-meal, but as I
don't make any money just now in my business, I really can't
afford to pay for my software -- particularly when I don't ~do~
that much business.

> A section explaining how to replace your current MTA by exim
> will be added soon.

  That sounds nice.

> </quote>

> Well, I guess especially this unclaimed hacking reward must
> appeal to you now (as it appeals to me), however I find the GPL
> of exim even more sexy (hell, saying this probably proves
> beyond doubt that I've developped into a geek).

  No one would ever have guessed;-).

> As you can see from my mail headers I'm using Sylpheed, which
> is the best graphical mail software I've seen so far - small,
> fast and spartan in a queer way, because any lack of features
> usual in other mailers feels like a feature rather than a
> restriction.

  If I wanted to use a gui mailer, I'd likely opt for sylpheed.
But I really like what the guys at UW are doing with pine.

> Recently, I fried my main linux machine's power supply (After
> the cheap built-in fan failed I've been running it thanks to
> the additional case fan I'd built in, until that failed too),
> and I had to read my mail with Mozilla running on my brother's
> Windows machine. Horrible - I couldn't wait to get my Sylpheed
> back.

  I think it's really funny how the Linux version of Mozilla runs
a damn site better than the Windows version.  I'd tried it a
while back, & have yet to speak with any Windows user who has
tried it & liked it.  It's really nice that Mozilla's really good
to Linux users.

> Well, I've tested mutt a couple of times and I adore it. This,
> along with the possibility of using advanced spam-filtering
> tools like Spam Assasin will see me switching to standard UNIX
> mail handling when I find the energy to set it up.

  Dunno.  I'm still having fun with procmail;-).

--
  Computer science:
  1. A study akin to numerology and astrology, but lacking the