[Linux-Anyway] Re: Anyone using qpopper?

  • From: horrorvacui@xxxxxxx
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:39:01 +0100

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:05:58 -0500
Skylinux <skylinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Meph Istopheles wrote:
> >   Hey,
> >   Looking at alternatives to sendmail & I can't find anything on
> > the security of any of them.  But qpopper looks good -- & I've
> > heard of it.  Anyone know if 4.0 does or doesn't allow relaying
> > on startup?
> >   Meph
>
> Yes, a qpopper here ;-)
> But qpopper is a POP3 Server, not SMTP. For a SMTP alternative check out
>
> qmail. I know I will ditch sendmail as soon as my Slackware 9 CDs arrive
>
> in the (snail)mail and then it's time for a qmail/qpopper configuration.

A small excerpt from the Mail-Administrator-HOWTO at tldp.org:

5.3 qmail

The qmail program is a sendmail-compatible MTA designed specifically for
high security. The author has a standing reward of $500 for publication of
the first verifiable security hole; this reward has gone unclaimed since
March 1997.
The qmail home page is at http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html.

5.4 exim

The exim program is similar to smail3, but with more features. It
advertises particular strengths in spam-blocking and support of several
virtual hosts (virtual DNS domains) on the same host.

The exim home page is at http://www.exim.org/.

I tried it on my own computer, it looks like a nice merge between smail
configuration system and qmail security, moreover it has the advantage of
being GPL.

A section explaining how to replace your current MTA by exim will be added
soon.

</quote>

Well, I guess especially this unclaimed hacking reward must appeal to you
now (as it appeals to me), however I find the GPL of exim even more sexy
(hell, saying this probably proves beyond doubt that I've developped into
a geek). I remember failing to install exim quite a long time ago due to
some required manual mucking about with the Makefile, which probably
wouldn't be a problem now. I'd pick exim.

As you can see from my mail headers I'm using Sylpheed, which is the best
graphical mail software I've seen so far - small, fast and spartan in a
queer way, because any lack of features usual in other mailers feels like
a feature rather than a restriction. Recently, I fried my main linux
machine's power supply (After the cheap built-in fan failed I've been
running it thanks to the additional case fan I'd built in, until that
failed too), and I had to read my mail with Mozilla running on my
brother's Windows machine. Horrible - I couldn't wait to get my Sylpheed
back.
Well, I've tested mutt a couple of times and I adore it. This, along with
the possibility of using advanced spam-filtering tools like Spam Assasin
will see me switching to standard UNIX mail handling when I find the
energy to set it up.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui