[libmill] Re: Test suite failure: OSX 10.10.3 w/ Xcode 6.3.2

  • From: Jim Jagielski <jimjag@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 09:28:47 -0400

Under FreeBSD, with clang and -O1, all works fine!!

Just a FYI: The configure script actually generates:

CFLAGS = -g -O2 -O1

which may eventually break builds. Want me to work on the configure.ac
patch?

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:28 PM, Jim Jagielski <jimjag@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I plan to check the results under FreeBSD 10 which also uses clang. I'll
let you know asap.

--
Jim Jagielski
Brief? Mobile

On 2015-06-22 20:44, Jim Jagielski wrote:
Trying out HEAD on master, when compiling w/ clang (gcc on OS X is an
alias
to clang), the
test suite errors out. With gcc (for reals) it works fine.
Attached is the test-suite.log file from a failed test:

I am not sure about the cause. It's either over-zealous optimisation in
clang or a subtle bug in libmill. However, it seems that using optimisation
level -O1 instead of -O2 fixes the problem.

As a temporary measure I can add a check for clang into build system and
use -O1 if it is found.

What do you think?

Martin