[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: liblouis vs liblouisutdml?

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 19:30:57 +0000

Hello,
The story as I understand it is that liblouis is still something people may want to use and is actively developed. However, liblouis is only for translating plain text.

If you want to translate XML into Braille then there was liblouisxml, which was then replaced by liblouisutdml. I understand that liblouisxml is not going to recieve any additional features and that people who were using liblouisxml should use liblouisutdml now. The googlecode project page for liblouisutdml is awfully out of date, newer releases can be found on John's website http://www.abilitiessoft.com. Why the newer releases are not on the googlecode project page I do not know and I am powerless to change that as I am not a member of the liblouisutdml project.

Hope this clears things up.

Michael Whapples
On 15/01/2013 19:08, Neil Soiffer wrote:
My apologies if I missed email on this...

At one point in time (within the past year), John said people should be using liblouisutdml and not liblouis. It seems like there has been lots of development on liblouis of late. Is the recommendation now to use liblouis and that liblouisutdml is dead? The last build of liblouisutdml was 1.5 years ago and the google code page for it (http://code.google.com/p/liblouisutdml/) is pretty sparse.

Thanks for any clarification,

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com <http://www.dessci.com>
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~