[liblouis-liblouisxml] SV: specifying digraphs in libelous tables

  • From: Bue Vester-Andersen <bue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 12:09:22 +0200

Hi Greg,

There are to ways to go about it:

You can use the always upcode, and then make other rules for exceptions
where gh should not be contracted. Depending on the actual contraction
rules, it might be better to avoid the "always" opcode, since it implies an
unconditional rule. "Partword" might be better if gh is not supposed to be
contracted if it appears alone, like in an abreviation. The en-us tables is
an example of tables that use this rule/exception aproach.

Another aproach is the hyphenation aproach. This is especially useful, if
contractions may not cross syllable boundaries or boundaries of compound
words. Then you use the "nocross" opcode to tell Liblouis that contractions
should only take place within these boundaries. You will then have to make a
hyphenation file or borrow one from LibraOffice if it serves the purpose.
The Danish grade 2 files is an example of this. I eventually had to make my
own hyphenation file, since hyphenation and division into syllables are not
quite the same thing in Danish.

Whatever you do, make sure you have an appropriate test procedure. I have
collected a corpus of 638,000 Danish words. Whenever I change some
contraction rules or modify the hyphenation file, I can quickly make a
comparison to see what words hav changed and catch any unintensional
changes.

Sorry, that was not a fast explanation, but I hope you can use it.

Bue