[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: LibLouisUTDML and locked Braille

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 14:33:26 +0100

Yes it helps understand the problem. Would have been nice though if something had been done as I think this is wanted quickly in BrailleBlaster, and your message implies this is going to be tight for the timescales desired.

Michael Whapples
On 12/05/2014 14:20, John J. Boyer wrote:
at present liblouisutdml does not handle locked braille. This is because
no decision was ever made as to how it should be implemented. The span
tag inside <brl> nodes has a class attribute. In the case of locked
braille this attribute could be given the value locked . However, it
would be better to use the modifiers attribute on the <brl> node itself
and give it the value locked. Some modifications on how liblouisutdml
handles <brl> nodes during a retranslation will also be necessary.

If the translation of something in the original text is modified and locked
that portion of the text will have to be marked up in some way.

There is a notranslate semantic action. This might be applied to
brl,modifiers,locked . In this case the <brl> node would contain braille
directly, with no index.

Hope this helps,
John
On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 01:17:08PM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
Hello,
Can liblouisutdml yet handle locked Braille for things like
transcriber's notes?

We are needing to implement this in BrailleBlaster and so
LibLouisUTDML will need to support it if BrailleBlaster is to work
properly.

If LibLouisUTDML does support locked Braille how does it currently
support it (IE. what XML markup should be used)?

If nothing has been defined then we were thinking of doing something
similar to how page numbers are done in UTDML. Thinking about it
though, we would have to mark locked Braille in another way because
page numbers would not be expected to be maintained through a
translation as potentially the pages may have changed if content has
changed, whereas locked Braille should be maintained through the
translation process.

I seem to have a memory that it had been suggested that locked
Braille would be noted by a locked attribute, possibly on the span
or the brl node.

Also were there cases where locked Braille may be associated to
print/ink content? I think the reason for that would be where a
manual translation correction had to be made.

Michael Whapples