[liblouis-liblouisxml] LibLouisUTDML and libxml2 on Windows

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 11:28:55 +0100

Hello,
I know I asked about why on Windows one needs to copy files from liblouisutdml's source directories into libxml2 and have liblouisutdml's build script build libxml2.

I am still not really satisfied with the answer, the reason is not clear to me.

In my experiments with using scons to build liblouisutdml, I did not really want to get involved in getting scons to compile libxml2, so I followed the instructions in the README file in the win32 directory of libxml2's source. So that I would not need to install iconv, I gave the option iconv=no to the configure.js script. In short I got a libxml2.dll out of the compile process (I did not hit any issues in compiling libxml2, building with iconv may require more effort but xmlsoft.org does have links to binary builds of libxml2 and all dependencies for Windows if you really want those features).

Then I got liblouisutdml to be built with it linking against libxml2. With my scons script this worked fine.

I have tried the resulting binaries from the C API (I tried the lbu_translateFile function) and things worked fine.

So this comes back to my question, why does the current liblouisutdml MSVC build script need custom building of libxml2? What are the issues it overcomes?

Michael Whapples