[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Is liblouis capable of preparing the Norwegian bible for embossing?

  • From: Paul wood <paulw.torchtrust@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Liblouis-Liblouisxml@Freelists. Org" <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 14:03:09 +0000

On 19/01/2012 1:58 PM, Paul Wood wrote:
Lars,
We are also faced with this problem and I don't think that liblouis's
formatter is capable, as John also says. I thought I had was to use
Word or similar to automate the footer references from the verse and
chapter numbers. I have done this for some Large Print Bible we did a
couple of years ago. By using a fixed width font and creating a page
the right size for your braille cells, this will format the main text.
If you are using uncontracted braille then a series of search and
replaces should create the translation, but before that the verse
numbers, Chapter names&  numbers need to be styled with a character
style, this can be automated from the source file markup. Then using
Word's footers and the first and last style references the correct
verse references can be generated i.e. John 3:1-14 etc. It wasn't
perfect as I had to correct when a change in chapter occured at the
start of a page, but it saved a lot of work and I can let you have the
footer code for Word. If it's contracted braille then it will get
complicated to style the numbers etc. I presume you are not trying to
also format the UBS way with verse numbers on a left hand column, as
this is definately beyond anything I have seen that hasn't been
specifically written for Bible formatting. We do have a transcriber
who has written code in Fortran to do this from the UBS marked up
file, but I don't know that programming language and when I looked at
it it wasn't easy to follow. He might be willing to do your job,
although he is quite elderly now.
Please let me know how you get on, as I'd also like to crack this one as well!

Regards
Paul

"John J. Boyer"<john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

--

Paul Wood, Technical Services Leader
*Torch Trust*

Chief Executive: Dr Gordon Temple
Charity No. 1095904

If you are not the intended recipient please destroy this message
and kindly notify the sender by reply email. The computer from which
this mail originates is equipped with virus screening software.
However Torch Trust cannot guarantee that the mail and its attachments
are free from virus infection.