[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Can we set a date for new releases?

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 17:59:14 +0100

On my Ubuntu 14.04 system (I am sure that is what John said he is using) the package version being reported is 2.5.3-2ubuntu1. Obviously this version number comes from the packager and hopefully they have completed it correctly.

What version gets included in distributions is something you need to deal with the packager or the distribution people. Releasing new versions won't necessarily help unless its been a very long time since a liblouis/liblouisutdml release and the distribution is good at keeping up with new versions.

Michael Whapples
On 19/05/2014 17:29, Mesar Hameed wrote:
On Mon 19/05/14,09:30, John J. Boyer wrote:
I can tell by the translation errors that the version of liblouis
installed by Orca on my Ubuntu 14.04 system is several years old.
$ apt-cache policy liblouis2

will show you what version of liblouis ubuntu ships with.

I want  to have the most up-to-date veersion before getting after them
. There are new tables as well.
Even if we released a new version, it is unlikely that it will be
packaged up and backported to your existing release.
That only tends to happen with security related issues.

So if you want the latest, you will have to do what you have been doing
up until now, which is build from svn.

I would like to set a date for getting bugs
fixed
Great, which bug will you be working on?

and tables updated. I've seen several requests to include new
tables.
Yes I haven't ignored them they are on my todo list and will act on them
asap.

At the same time including them willy-nilly just because they have been
submitted without looking over them and adding some tests is not the right
thing to do.

My priority is to improve our existing process , write up clear
documentation on the website about tests so that we can refer table
writers to them.

All this will be done, it just needs a bit of deadicated time.

Moving to regular releases is probably something that we should do.
NVDA has this documented here:
http://community.nvda-project.org/wiki/ReleaseProcess
We probably need a simplified version of that, with 2 or so releases per year.
15 Jan and 15 July seem quite reasonable, will check gnome release cycle
to see if thats any good.

Mesar