[LRflex] Re: slide scanner advice requested

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 08:41:47 -0800

At 05/12/2007, you wrote:
David,
    I don't think I need the additional speed and wouldn't mind to
save the money.  Do you miss the additional dynamic range of
the 5000 for underexposed slides or night skies?
Charlie.

G'mornin' again, Charlie!

Can't say that I miss it, as I've not used the 5000, so cannot compare. I do now that the results from the V-ED are superb. It does a very nice job from Kodachromes and Agfachromes in particular. Also very good with Kodak neg films, which is what I used most, for the last 15 years, before switching to digital.

I have an old Agfachrome - http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/grandfather.htm - shot in 1973 which I love. A 16x20 of this slide has adorned my walls for nearly 35 years. It is now so faded that I needed to replace it. I located the original slide, which has held up very well. I engaged the digital ICE, and scanned merrily away.

After some very minor tweaking of the TIFF file, I had a new 16x20" print made, and it looks gorgeous! Early in the new year, it will be framed, and replace my old copy.

I recommended the V-ED to Xavier, who found one used, and he is, I believe, very happy with it.

An aside:

Some 16 months ago, I had the opportunity to use a prototype M8, prior to it's release. When I went to the LHSA meet, in Wetzlar, shortly after that, I took prints made with Canon digi, the M8, Leica's DMR, and this old Agfa scan - all as 8x12" prints (larger ones would not fit in my suitcase). I would present them, asking folks to identify which came from what. Most people selected the scan as being the M8 shot, as it was visibly better than the others!

If you don't feel the need for speed, I think you'll be very happy with Nikon's V-ED.