[LRflex] Re: slide scanner advice requested

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 07:50:40 -0800

At 05/12/2007, you wrote:
Calling all Flexers,
   I'm about to buy a slide scanner.  I'm thinking
of the Nikon Coolscan V ED or the 5000 ED.  Any advice
will be appreciated, particularly whether the 5000's
additional bits are worth the extra money.  (The speed is
not a big factor for me.)
Thanks,

Hi Charlie!

Like many others, here, I have the Nikon Coolscan V-ED. It works very well and has proved superbly reliable. The 5000 is faster (20 seconds scans) and will handle a bulk slide feeder for 50 slides, but unless you need those features (at much extra money), the V works just fine.

Mine has a bit of dirt (or a bad pixel in the scanning bar) which results in a coloured line across the photos. Rather than pay to have it fixed, I use digital ICE (this adds about 30 seconds ot a scan) and you'd never know there is a problem. As I mostly shoot digital, the ICE is a much lower cost solution than sending it in to get it fixed!

YMMV.