[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V7 #21

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:10:57 -0500 (EST)

Herman Kempers wrote:

How would you describe DMR image quality compared with the new high resolution
Nikon & Canon cams and their new high definition lenses??
<<<

No personal experience with the latest N&C cameras, but in this post on the
Leica Users Group, Tom Lianza compares his R9/DMR with his D3:

http://leica-users.org/v38/msg08416.html

As far as lenses go, resolution is only a part of the package and in some cases
the CaNikon lenses are quite good, particularly when stopped down one or two
stops.  The industry as a whole seems to be putting more emphasis on
convenience features like wide zoom ranges and optical camera shake control.
There's an optical cost for these conveniences that many purchasers either are
not aware of or are willing to accept.  Leica's lens design and manufacture
typically puts more emphasis on color quality, flare resistance, bokeh and
consistent performance over the entire aperture range in addition to
resolution.  Comparing lens designs, even prime lenses, it's not unusual to
find that Canon and Nikon lens designs use many more lens elements and have
significantly more air/glass surfaces than a comparable Leica lens does.  The
Leica design more than likely will require higher-precision manufacture
compared with the CaNikon lens to reach its design potential, thus the cost.

As a very quick example comparing the Leica 280mm f/4 APO with the Canon and
Nikon 300mm f/4 lenses, the APO has 7 elements in six groups, resulting in 12
reflective surfaces.  The Nikon (AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED) has 10 elements
in six groups (also 12 reflective surfaces), and the Canon (EF 300mm f/4 L IS)
has 15 elements in 10 groups (20 reflective surfaces).  This aspect of lens
design is only one of many, but it indicates some of Leica's design philosophy.
  Comparing the performance of these lenses, one photographer who owns all
three, using them on his Canon 1DsII body, says the Canon and Nikon lenses are
a cruel joke compared with the "divine" 280mm f/4 APO (his words, not mine).

For image quality can be -apart from facts you can measure- also a bit
subjective, I understand that this can be a personal thing. You may -please do-
keep it very personal; why do you keep working with a DMR and not using the new
generation digi cams. Is it  image quality, or the the ' R '  feeling?
<<<

The APO lenses combined with the DMR produce rich colors with excellent dynamic
range and color/tonal gradation and seemingly endless detail.

For what you're doing I can imagine that a fast reacting camera with usable
high iso can do the job more easily.
<<<

More easily, yes.  But they don't produce the image quality I want in my photos.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com