[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V4 #157

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 07:12:59 -0700

Keith Longmore wrote:

>Looking at the two (tweaked/untweaked) shots of the blackbird, I think
>you just overdid the black slider a bit.  The grass was overpowering in
>the tweaked version, in my view, and detracted from the bird itself.  A
>histogram adjustment would probably have been better.

Yes.  You are right .. .it was a bit overdone.  However, it started
out, as I said, as a private piece to illustrate the use of the BL
slider, and I wanted it to be a dramatic difference.  I guess I got
too dramatic!  :-(

Still, it showed the operation, for those who do not understand what
the idea is all about.  Certainly, I've never used that strong a
"boost" in any other photo... as stated, I normally give a shot
somewhere between 4 and 7 ... perhaps 10 (out of 100), whereas this
one was a full 35 (backed off from my first run at 40!).

I shall consider myself to have been given 40 lashes with a wet noodle. ;-)

>As well as Photoshop LE, I also have Serif's Photo Plus.  PP has three
>sliders for adjustment - dark, mid and highlight tones.  That can be
>very useful for playing with difficult-lit shots.  I don't often use PP,
>but it has some very nice features, and is much more user-friendly for
>such things as red-eye elimination than is Photoshop.  It is also much
>less expensive than Photoshop.

I'm always looking for good software which is effective and less
expensive that PS, which is vastly overpriced for what most of us
need.  Lightroom and Silkypix are, I think, two very good
alternatives for Raw development, as well as being far more efficient
in their work flows.  Sounds like Serif's PP should be checked out, too!

I look forward to seeing your photos of Crete, when posted.