[LRflex] Re: a visit from Isabelle...

  • From: Harry Standel <RVBayExplorer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:52:45 -0500

Hi Richard,
I know this is a Leica forum and not a Canon forum so excuse the
lengthy response regarding the camera.......I started out with a
Nikon Photomic Ftn and went to a Leica R3Mot before going to an EOS
in 1985 or '86. I have a Summicron 50/2 an Elmarit 90/2.8 and an
Elmarit 135/2.8 all of which I love. In fact although the Elmarit
135/2.8 is not rated very highly I recall ages ago emailing Doug Herr
about it who told me he thought it to be a very capable lens. I
certainly have the pic's to prove it.

To your response, my understanding is that the focus screen most
suitable for manual focusing for the 1Ds is the split screen....but I
have read that this focusing screen alters the light metering
characteristics of the camera....so you've got to adjust for that. It
just makes things more complicated. Although I'm not sure why I'm so
worked up about a split screen altering the light meter when I almost
always use the 1Ds completely as a manual camera. simply adjusting
things based on a quick look at the playback.

By the way the arguments that I've been reading regarding the M
Leicas is that they're simple to use very unlike the newer digital
SLR's which are really very very complicated provided you fully
understand them and don't use them as a point and shoot. They are
after all complex computers that generally have a crappy user
interface and after using the EOS 1Ds Mk II for several years now I
still have much to learn about the various programming aspects of the
camera BUT I absolutely love the camera and can't imagine being
without it.

The disadvantage of the camera is that it's very big very visible and
very heavy. The advantage to the camera, as I see it, is, aside from
its 17 megapixel, full frame resolution and durability, is the
instant playback common to virtually all digitals allowing for
adjustment on the spot and the opportunity of using a host of other
than Canon lenses. I have about 35 lenses (my wife thinks I'm a bit
nuts) from Kodak Retina SLR's to Nikons, Leicas, Carl Zeiss, Olympus,
Yashica and a host of after market brands like Vivitar, Rokunar,
Cosina, etc etc. As you might expect, the Leica lenses and better
Canon lenses are fabulous. When I have the time to fiddle with the
focus I almost invariably use my  90/2.8 Elmarit R for portraits as
well as general photography which although it doesn't seem to get
rave revues...I think is spectacular and I can't imagine a much
better result from any lens. But some, although not most, of the
really inexpensive after market lenses (and I'm talking like $5.00 to
$50.00) are shockingly, surprisingly and amazingly good.

When the time comes, I would suggest looking for an EOS 1DS Mk II
rather than the new MK III since the older model used are now
approaching the $2.000 range (I spent $7,500 for mine). It's hard to
imagine getting a better result from a camera/lens combination than a
1Ds Mk II with a Leica lens.
Harry