[LRflex] Re: a 4/3 sensor to match the 36mm size? (corrected version)

  • From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 00:02:17 +0100

In that case, I have conjectural questions :
I compared two current 4/3 zooms this weekend - D Vario-Elmarit of mine and Alice's Oly - both 14-50 or so. I noticed that the back lens of the "Leica" is MUCH larger than the Oly's - the former is 2.8 and the latter 3.5 though, but this hardly account for such a difference as I perceive it. Can we conclude that existing 4/3 lenses would be compatible with the new format, and if so, mount? Would that also mean that the existing R mount lenses would require an adaptor ?

Phil...x

telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The 27mm distance is well within the image circle of current "R" lenses (for they must cover the diagonal of the 35mm frame), thus making it possible for Leica to keep current customers happy, while attracting new pros to the "ideal format" in a 35mm-ish sized camera.

It's an interesting idea, Xavier. One well worth conjecture, for it would easily explain all the seemingly conflicting statements Leica have made about sensor size being "larger than full frame", in the coming
R10!

Aha!  I believe I grok the concept.  Very interesting idea, I suppose we'll
have to wait to see what Leica has up their sleeve.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com