[LRflex] Re: White Grebe

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:41:20 -0700

Linda wrote:

Very nice photo , although I wouldn't know it was an albino.

Thanks, Linda!

Here is a shot of the parent (much more white) with it's normally coloured mate. They are feeding their young .. and one of these babies is likely a parent of the bird I photographed yesterday.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Prints/nab_rn_grebe.htm

And, of course, these birds are not albino... but "albinistic" (close to albino). Along the way, one of the parents was likely a full albino, but I have not seen that bird. And, with each generation in which they mate with a normally coloured bird, the offspring get more and more colour until, many generations on, they will look like any other Red Necked Grebe.

BTW: The zebra striping of the babies is normal.

Thanks for looking and for taking the time to comment.