[LRflex] White Grebe

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:26:50 -0700

This fellow is almost an old friend... yet we'd never met.

In 2005, when I first moved to Logan Lake, I photographed an almost full albino Red Necked Grebe. It was Doug Herr who gave me the proper term: Albinistic.

But it was a New Jersey ornithologist, who made me aware just how rare this bird is. He purchased two prints of the bird (and it's normally coloured mate), telling me that he had spent 30 years studying Grebes as a specialty, and had never seen such a bird. He HAD to have the photos, for his office wall, which was OK by me!

(This bird can be seen on my website: http://www.furnfeather.net/Prints/nab_alb_grebe.htm )

In 2006, I was able to supply him with a photo of one of the offspring, as a yearling.

However, in 2007, none of these "white"  Red Neck Grebes returned to our area.

So, you can imagine my surprise and delight, when, yesterday, I came across this chap, who seems to be a yearling from last years "crop".

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/White_Grebe.htm

With each generation, they are acquiring more and more colour. If they continue to return to Tunkwa, over time I should finally see the line restored to their "real" colours. If I'm that lucky, it will make a fascinating series!

Comments, criticism appreciated, as always.