[LRFlex] Was Peder's intro - now R5 vs R8.

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:48:47 -0700

Hi Peder!

You said:

Thank you , for the answer. I am very sad, to hear about your R5.

I was sad and I do miss it. However, the insurance company bought me a rather nice R8, so I really cannot complain!

I love the 1/8000 top shutter speed on the '8', for I can keep ISO 400 in the camera for use with my 21, zoom (both f4) and the 400/6.8. Yet, when I'm using my Summicrons in bright light, there is no fear of overexposure, even wide open! :)

Besides, the finder is *almost* as bright as that on the SL, and nearly as good a "High Eyepoint" design as the Nikon F3-HP. Overall, the best finder of any camera I've ever used. Much clearer than any of the other 'R' series.

The downside is that the '8' is large (ok in my hands), heavy (not so OK) and mine, at least, has not proved nearly as reliable. :( (I always take my SL as a spare... just in case!)

Those things said, I don't think I'd ever give it up!

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm