[LRflex] Was Kaufmann ... now Xavier's wild ideas.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:02:20 -0700

Xavier excitedly offered:

Hello To all.

Just got a wilder technical idea!
Put the M8 sensosr into a four third frame. of course part of the sensor is not used.
This will be a 9 MP system but the lenses are fully compatible with the 4/3
This is the M8 sensor, come on :) DNG files, comaptible with Silkypix :-)

Hi Xavier!

Can't speak for the rest of your ideas, but you don't need an M8 sensor to get DNG files.

I have Siklypix 2.0, which I love. SP 3.0 will read the Olympus RAW files, but SP 2.0 won't. And I'm too cheap to upgrade Silkypix. So, I convert my ORF files to DNG files with the free converter supplied by Adobe, and then "develop" them in SP 2.0!

I know other photographers who do this with Canon's CR2 files, as they believe that DNG will eventually become the standard and will be supported longer than CR2 files. This may be true, when you consider that Pentax now support their own RAW format as well as DNG. Rumour has it that the next generation of Nikons will do the same .... though this is only rumour, at this stage.

The free RAW converter from Adobe will convert just about any RAW file known to man, to DNG. With the DMR, I converted my DNG files to DNG files ... the converter applies the same loss-less compression that the M8 does in camera ... and the DNG files drop about 40% in size, without any sacrifice in image quality. A lot easier on disc/DVD space, too!