[LRflex] Was: B&W 35mm. Now: Photo Posting solutions.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 06:13:38 -0700

George Furst, in Korea, wrote:

>PS: Dave I do have a question. I have never shared photos and now
>that I have scanned many of my Korean mountain pictures I would like
>to do it. How does one do this? It is obvious that I do not attach
>the pictures to the email.

Hi George!

You directed your question to Dave Simms, so I hope you will both
forgive me if I butt in....

You are correct.  Please do not attach anything to emails sent to the
list.  This is a world-wide list, and there are many who have only
dial-up.  Many, here, have to pay, by the minute, for their phone
service, as well as their  internet access. Thus,  attaching anything
forces them to pay to download something they may not wish to view.
Besides, if the list servers are working properly, all attachments
are stripped off, anyway.  (This also explains why  this list uses
plain text, only.  If you send HTML (Rich-Text) formatted posts, the
server strips all the formatting info!  It also helps keep us from
getting spam via the list.)

The simplest way is to get an account on one of the free, or low
cost, photo sharing sites.  Post your pictures there, and then send
the link to the list.  Simple!

For Leica photographers, the LUG Gallery is a good choice. It  was
created for members of the LUG (a larger, "M" oriented list), but
Brian Ried, the LUG list owner, has generously offered LRflex members
access to it, as well.  And, it's free!

See: http://gallery.leica-users.org/main.php

Other alternatives include Flickr, Smugmug, etc.

Of course, most ISP accounts (at least, in North America) come with
some free web-space.  You could always create your own web site,
there.  For this, I recommend several pieces of free software...

Kompozer, to create your web pages: http://www.kompozer.net/

If you wish some fancy formatting to your pages, try tilt-viewer,
postcard-viewer, Autoviewer and Simple-viewer.

These are free "Flash" presentations, and can be found at:

http://www.simpleviewer.net/products/

FTP Commander, to upload your pages:  http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm

FastStone Image Viewer, to resize and 'tweak" your
scans:  http://www.faststone.org/

GIMP2 for very fancy "tweaking" ...a large,  open source alternative
to Photoshop.

For Windoze: http://www.gimp.org/windows/
For Mac: http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

The first three are, to my knowledge, Windoze only. However, there
should be similar freeware programs for the Mac.

I use all of these and find them very satisfactory.  If you wish to
see how they work, together, see my wildlife & sports pages...
address in my signature block, below.

I hope this helps.  Personally, I'd love to see some of  "your" Korea!

Cheers!

David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake, BC,  Canada

Wildlife & Sports: www.furnfeather.net