[LRflex] Re: The limits of digital... Is this a real limit?

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:38:54 -0700

Aram Langhans wrote:

>My, my.  Excellent

Yes.. Doug's Cedar Waxwing is rather nice... isn't it?

>Question - would you expect any better with 1600 ISO film vs the 1600 ISO
>digital?  David may be too hard on digital.

Perhaps so.  I like digitals freedom from grain...  the 'noise' is a
problem, but much less so than is the grain at high ISOs.  When Telyt +
extender =  f13.6, wide open, high ISOs are a huge advantage.

Until my Bohemian Waxwing photo (I'd never seen a waxwing before) I'd
been happy with the detail in my shots. The waxwing shot made me wonder
if  'noise' was masking the detail in the wings.. hence the subject line
"Limits of digital..."   As Rose insisted and Doug proved, this is not
the case.  The detail in Doug's Waxwing shot (on ISO 100 film) is no
more than mine.  It's the bird!

So Aram... no, I'm not being to hard on digital. Until I learned more,
I'd have been just as disappointed with the feather detail were the same
shot obtained with my R8 and Kodachrome 25.   I'm just like any Leica
user... I'm looking for perfection!

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt