[LRflex] Re: The limitations of digital.

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:50:03 -0700

Philippe Amard wrote:

>by the way, but this is only a by the way - I think the waxbird snaps
>are perfectly fine - only the focus is a puzzle to me as I think - I"m
>not sure about it as I can't see the original shot - I think that the
>bud is crystal shap whereas the bird might have been better - is this
>only the result of my ageing eyes?

Hi Philippe!

The focus on this shot drives me nuts, too.  In the original RAW file,
and in the large size .tif files, the Waxwing's eye is absolutely tack
sharp. (It looses a bit in the low res .jpg on the web)   It is the
unusual smoothness of the feathers which makes the bird look unsharp.
At first I thought this was a limitation of the digital file, but Doug
Herr's excellent shot of the Cedar Waxwing proves that this is not so.
These birds look like that!

Still, to my eye, as yours, the photo looks "fuzzy", as if the focus is
slightly off... but in fact, it is not.  Weird....

Thanks for taking the time to look, and comment.

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Leica Reflex Forum web-page: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm