[LRflex] Re: The Elmar 180mm f4.0

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 21:37:46 -0500 (EST)

"j. white" wrote:

>I¹ve been enjoying the 135mm very much and have recently found an Elmar
>180mm f4.0 lens at an attractive price. I¹ve looked online and have had a
>difficult time finding much information about it at all. Does anyone here
>have experience with this lens? Any pro or cons I should be aware of? Any
>praise or insults to hurl in its general direction?

Probably it's most appealing features are its size and weight.  For a 180 it's
tiny and lightweight, noticably lighter than the 135.  Optical quality is good,
not especially spectacular.  bokeh is very pleasing, good minimum focus
distance for a non-IF lens, and uses E55 filters and ELPRO close-up lenses.  It
will flare readily if sunlight gets on the front element.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com