[LRflex] Re: Surprise, Update from yesterday

  • From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 05:59:33 -0800

Sent from my iPhone
Steve Barbour

On Feb 20, 2013, at 3:52 AM, Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Richard,

I totally agree with your feeling that I certainly dig into a world of Software
musing. In French, we call this 'shagging the flies'....

Shocked this expression used in French is of all things, a baseball expression
meaning...catching long fly balls.

As for the serie of images, all were done with the same White balance settings,
just the 'taste of film' was modified. when the taste Dynamic B&W is applied,
the raw image appears yellow when developped.

The morality behind all this: Raw image is not necessarily what comes off the
sensor, at least on a Panasonic LX5  It is not however a Leica Reflex, so, let
us put all this in the bottom of the bag

And, indeed Safari 'travels' thru the file all browsers do, my file has
obviously a content in contradiction, in other words, 'hakuna matata' with your
E-Pad...

#-----------------------------------
From : Xavier F. BILLE
mail : hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx
Maisons Alfort - France

Subject: [LRflex] Re: Surprise, Update from yesterday
From: ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:27:00 -0500
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,
I can't delve with much depth into most of your software and technology
musings, but I very much would like to suggest that you might be overlooking
the totality of the effects of the Sources of the Light illuminating the scene
you've Photographed. To Repeat: Might. :)

In my experience interacting with any raw sensor based image, that source file
is a sea of skewed colors absent either setting a manual color balance or using
an automated color balance adjustment (Daylight, tungsten, cloudy, etc). My
thoughts (imho) are that the oddly colored 2nd image from Silky Pix likely
results from either a displeasing manual color balance or mixed lighting.

FWIW: the first image is still opening as a blank frame in Safari. I'm on an
iPad3 with full updates.

Richard
 _____________________________________

I wish we lived in a country where the DoJ would prosecute corruption and
financial crimes as zealously as they did Aaron Schwartz.
 _____________________________________

On Feb 19, 2013, at 2:09 PM, Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Thanks Richard, Steve, Marc and David, others too who pointed out the strange
effect of the ghost file, no explaination so far.

The image B&W dynamic jpeg, resized to the proper value, coming from the camera
with no mods,  is here:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010736_from-camera.jpg

And the Raw image, developped in standard by Silkypix is here:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010736_dev.jpg

David pointed off list that the image had a 'greyish appearance'. In fact, it
has to my eye, a 'yellow-ish' appearance. Why?

In the day of film era, when you wanted to increase the contrast in b&w you
would put a yellow filter or better a strong Red filter.

Now, with the Sensor Era, it seems that these clever engineers of Panasonic
have modified the parameters configuring the sensor, especially the white
balance as to add a strong strong yellow filter.

When the image is processed by the embedded algorithm to produce the JPEG, it's
standard and it offers a contrasty B&W image. It saves the time to process
inboard and it can use other interesting parameters such as Image Resolution
enhancer, etc. The Panasonic LX5 is full of tweaks, some rather smart.

Panasonic and Leica Share the same platform, it would be possible that the
algorithm for building JPEG in a Leica differs from in a Panasonic. As the
JPEGprocessing  is a 'standard' component, the idea is to work out the raw file
used as input. It's an industrial strategy, nothing to worry. It's all about
Software and shared interfaces.....

Why a yellow cast? I think that a red cast would produce a B&W image as from a
Xerox photocopier, the sensor is certainly too sensitive to the red wave length
(my theory....)

However, the JPEG off the LX5 is rather flat and muddy, compared to what could
be done in post processing with 10times the CPU power of the LX5. Here is the
Raw yellow file developped with my Recipe under Silkypix:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010736_dev_nb.jpg

It's closer to a XP2 Ilford film, and you know what? I like it better.

Conclusion: Panasonic has used in the type of film 'Dynamic B&W', the old trick
of the yellow filter but to the extreme. It is very clever, they offer a
variety of features with the same modular core of processing.

The Digilux3 has obviously a different approach, the RAW is really what comes
off the sensor and there is various algorithms to produce JPEG. But the Digilux
3 has not the tweaks such as Image Resolution factor or Image contrast factor.
At 1600 ISO, the LX5 does better than the Digilux3, it's not a surprise but the
margin is not as big as one would expect.

The Digilux3 produces images through Silkypix which are similar at the 'grain'
or 'pixel count' to a 135 film of the same speed, a very analog rendering.

Mind you, the latest Fuji camera have a embedded tonal developpement for B&W
with 'Red' or 'Yellow' filter, they have probably used a different approach of
the processing of Raw File.

Thanks for having beared such a Blah-Blah. To thank you, let me show what is
the mood at home when I start explaining all this:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010701_dev.jpg

(LX5, Leica Lens, special processing, wide angle....), let's name it :"shut up!
time you walk the dog out, Dear")

Enjoy!!
From : Xavier F. BILLE