[LRFlex] Re: Still more Adventures at 32 Below!

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:29:53 -0800

You wrote:

David
It appears to me to be more of a scanner problem. I've run into a similar problem when using a flatbed (microtek) and trying to scan a neg. Something about the focus of a flatbed is what I found out. Now it may just be my monitor but the eye appeared fuzzy also as did the branch which is in about the same plane.

Hi Andy!

Once again, I've not managed to make myself clear. The actual scan was made from a 4x6" print and so lacks the detail of a negative scan.

Now it may just be my monitor but the eye appeared fuzzy also as did the branch which is in about the same plane.

The eye looks "reasonably" sharp on my monitor, though not with the crisp detail of the print. (What can you expect for US$69?) And the branch runs at a diagonal to the camera, so it's difficult, even for me, to tell where the point of focus on it *should* be. No question, however, that the dof of the scanner is about as limited as the dof in the photo!

I'm having much more serious problems with a shot taken last week at a relatively balmy minus 20 Celsius, I have two shots of an American Bald Eagle, looking at me from a snow covered tree, but I'm having a devil of a time getting the scan of the print to look sharp, yet the eyeball in the print is tack sharp, even under a 5x loupe! If I can get it to look half way decent, I'll post it.

Thanks for your comments, and for looking!